NASKA Competitors, Promoters and Judges:
Thank You for a great 2013 NASKA Season and Congratulations on continuing to help make NASKA the #1 World Sport Karate Tour. The 2014 Season is approaching quickly and we have made a few changes and additions that we think will make the NASKA Tour even better in 2014. Please review these changes and additions below.
- Youth Black Belt Additions: The Girls 11 & under Creative Weapons Division has been separated into: 9 & Under Girls Creative Weapons and 10-11 Girls Creative Weapons.
- All 50 + Senior Women Black Belt Divisions now have two weight divisions.
- All Senior 50 + Women Black Belt Divisions now have both Traditional and Creative Forms and Weapons.
- New 60+ Men and Women Black Belt divisions in Weapons, Forms and Sparring.
- The Adult Black Belt Age Divisions have changed to: 18+, 30+, 40+ 50+ and 60+. The “+” sign after the age number means any competitor that age or older can compete in that division. Competitors are allowed to compete in one age division in sparring and a different age divisions in forms and/or weapons. If a competitor chooses to compete in two different age categories it is their responsibility to be at the ring when their divisions start. Divisions cannot be held to wait for competitors. It is vital the competitors know the schedule of events and ring assignments.
- Light Welter Weight and Welter Weight divisions have been added to the 18+ Black Belt Men’s Divisions making a total of 8 weight divisions. An additional 18+ Men’s Welter Weight Divisional Sparring Grand has been added. One additional weight division and Grand as been added to the Women’s 18+ Sparring Divisions making a total of 4. A 30+ Women Sparring Grand with Prize money has been added. (See attached Division and Sparring Grand Championships)
- Total Prize Money has been increased and redistributed. (See Prize Money attachment)
- To be eligible to compete in an 18+ Overall Grand Championship in Weapons, Forms or Sparring a competitor must win an 18+ Weapon, Form or Sparring division.
- Sparring Rules:
- 3 points will be awarded for a “Jump or Spinning Kick” to the head. All other point values will stay the same.
- The sparring “Down Rule” and “Out of Bounds Rule” has changed. The Down and Out of Bounds rules used in Team Sparring is now the rule for all NASKA Sparring Black Belt Divisions. If a competitor touches the ground with any part of their body except for the bottom of their feet or one hand they are considered down and the standing competitor receives 1 point. If a competitor goes out of bounds (both feet out) the competitor in bounds receives 1 point. (Shoving and/or pushing a competitor down or out of bounds are not allowed and the guilty competitor can be penalized).
- The Final Overall 18+ Men and Women Sparring Grand Championships will be two, two minutes rounds with 1 minute rest between rounds and competitors must win by two points. If tied at the end of the second round “Sudden Victory” (first person to get two points ahead will win) will determine the winner. All point values are still the same during the overtime period. Semi finals Overall 18+ Men and Women Sparring Grand Championship matches are still one round but competitors must win by two points. All Divisional Sparring Grand Championships are still one two minute round but competitors must win by two points. All Sparring Grand Championship matches are still total points or 10 Point Spread Rule.
- Weapons and Form Rules:
- All competitors may still use music in all “Overall Weapons and Forms Grand Championships and Runoffs” but in Divisional Weapons and Form Grand Championships, music may only be used by competitors in the CMX Divisional Grand Championships (this includes creative and extreme winners). No music can be used in the Divisional Traditional Grand Championships;
- Implementing “New Loss of Weapons Control Rule” (Attached);
- The following techniques are being added and considered legal techniques that can now be used in Creative Weapons and Forms Divisions: Forward Roll, Butterfly Kick, Illusion Kick, and Kip Up (these techniques will be graded as all other techniques are graded: execution, power, balance, speed etc.);
- 18+ Adult Weapons and Forms Traditional and CMX Divisional Grand Championships have been discontinued and a new runoff system for finals has been determined with prize money changes. (See Adult Prize Money and Grand Championship attachment.);
- To be eligible to compete in an 18+ Overall Grand Championship in Weapons, Forms or Sparring a competitor must have won an 18+ Weapon, Form or Sparring division. Winners of all 18+ Adult Weapons and Forms Winners will compete in an elimination round during the day to see who will compete for the Overall Form and Overall Weapons Grand Championships in the Finals. (See attached Grand Championships and Prize Money in NASKA Packet)